Staff Scientist I | Genetics and SNPRC
Doctoral Degree: Ph.D. Animal Physiology (1997)
The University of Hong Kong
Growth and development of the pancreas and stomach in neonatal pigs.
Master's Degree: M.Ag. and D.V.M. Veterinary Microbiology and Immunology (1994)
South China University of Agriculture Guangzhou , China
Development of killed vaccine against Streptococcus suis type II and use of an Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) to measure antibody response.
Postdoctoral Fellow at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Department of Pathology July 2002 – 2006
Research on biomakers of prostate cancer to be used in large scale early screening and for the determination of prostate cancer disease prognosis.
Postdoctoral Fellow at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Department of Cellular and Structural Biology May 2000 – June 2002
Studies on transgenic mouse lines which are designed to overexpress both the androgen receptor and Bcl-2 in the prostate and serve as an animal model for prostate cancer.
The long-term goal of my research is to develop a nonhuman primate model for the study of the biology of PSA, and to use that model to investigate the various causes of individual variation in serum PSA levels that are not due to cancer itself. The known (non-cancer) causes of variation in serum levels of PSA include genetic differences among men, obesity, and possibly diet separate from obesity.
Awards and Honors
- Award for student with excellent academic record for the years 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992 by South China University of Agriculture.
- Postgraduate Scholarship by The University of Hong Kong 1994-1997.
- Conference Grant by the Committee on Research and Conference Grants of The University of Hong Kong in 1995.
- Conference Grant by Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden in November 1999 to attend the 4th International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM-Asia) held in Tagaytay city Philippines.
Polymerase chain reaction detection of Trypanosoma cruzi in Macaca fascicularis using archived tissues.
Williams JT, Mubiru JN, Schlabritz-Loutsevitch NE, Rubicz RC, VandeBerg JL, Dick EJ Jr, Hubbard GB
The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 81 (2): 228-234, 2009
Spontaneous heart disease in the adult chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes).
Seiler BM, Dick Jr EJ, Guardado-Mendoza R, VandeBerg JL, Williams JT, Mubiru JN, Hubbard GB
Journal of Medical Primatology. 38 (1): 51-58, 2009
- SERCA-NCRR/1K01RR025161-01A1-NIH, 2009-2014: Development of nonhuman primate models and tools for the study of PSA biology.
- Max and Minnie Tomerlin Voelcker Fund, 2008-2010: Effects of diet and obesity on PSA in nonhuman primates.
- Southwest Foundation Forum grant, 2007-2008: $25,000
- NIH/NCRR, 2006-2009: Research supplement to promote diversity in health-related research.